Payment Practices Barometer the Americas
International survey of B2B payment behaviour
An Atradius Interview with Doug Collins, Head of Risk Services, the Americas
Doug Collins speaks about payment trends in the US, Canada, Brazil and Mexico and explains how they have changed over the past year. Watch our video to find out how each country is performing and learn more about payment trends in these markets.
Compared to businesses in Europe, collection of foreign receivables is consistently a greater challenge for business respondents in the Americas. Whether it be due to inexperience in exporting, inconsistent payment practices, language or cultural barriers, or less use of external credit management resources such as credit insurance, international collections or credit information services, businesses in the Americas seem to struggle more with foreign invoice collections.
- 27.0% and 29.5% of the total value of the invoices issued by survey respondents to their domestic and foreign B2B customers respectively are past due.
- Most common reasons for late payment of B2B invoices are liquidity constraints of the customer (domestic) and inefficiencies of the banking system and complexity of the payment procedure (foreign).
- In Canada and the U.S., foreign B2B receivables represent a greater threat,while in Mexico and Brazil domestic B2B receivables are of more concern.
- The average DSO of survey respondents in the Americas (58 days) is almost twice the average payment term of 31 days.
- Despite modest economic improvement, generating and maintaining sufficient cash flow remains a priority.
- Leave a Comment
We welcome any feedback, corrections and suggestions you have on how we could improve our publications.
Please e-mail these to us!
Credit management knowledge
Insolvencies in the US
expected to decrease 5% in 2014.
Read the latest Market Monitor
Western Europe: around
40% of the value of B2B
invoices in default
Read the PPB for Western Europe
Payments in Polish
Food sector take
45 days on average.
Payments in the German food sector
take 30 days on average
Download the Statistical appendix to the
September 2013 edition of the Payment Practices Barometer (survey results for the Americas).
Also available: Statistical appendix May 2013 Western Europe and June 2013 Eastern Europe
Download past editions of Atradius' Payment Practices Barometer